An occasional advice column from Samantha Boswell, District Manager Citizens Advice Causeway

Julie Magee


Julie Magee


I recently become a carer for my partner, and can therefore no longer work. We’ve started falling behind on our bills and I’m worried our debts are only going to get worse. I’m on Carer’s Allowance but what else can I do to turn things around?

A change in circumstances can often trigger financial problems. It’s good to see you taking action now as this will stop you from sliding into further debt.

See if you can make any savings on your household bills by switching suppliers, or changing deals.

Try to boost your income too. You may be able to apply for benefits jointly with your partner. Contact Citizens Advice for a benefit calculation and support to apply.

You should contact your creditors and ask if you can reduce your repayments until you’re back in work.

*For more on this see this week's Coleraine Chronicle.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on Alpha Newspaper Group

Characters left: 1500